Friday, November 29, 2013

And Another Thing

One thing seems to lead to another around here when it comes to scraps.  I had a lot of these petal shaped pieces left from cutting out drunkard's path shapes for Hemispheres.  I just pushed them all to the side of the cutting table, or as I like to call it, the creativity zone.

I already had gotten a bonus quilt from some of these scraps with the recent Drunken Monkeys baby quilt (yes, I did just call it that).  That quilt may have a home soon if Norm finds out whether his coworker had a baby girl.  She had a baby; that's all he knows so far.  Guys are funny.  We ladies might not only know the birth date and gender but also the first, middle, and last names, weight and length, how long of a labor, and whether it was induced, natural, or Cesarean, among other things.

Back to the scrap story, I played around with the petal shapes and soon I had this kind of thing going on.  It reminded me of a Pyrex design, which only made me want to sew it together more, one way or another.

Here it is pinned to a background and I'm auditioning other fabrics to incorporate, thinking this could be a small table runner.  After all, something cute should be underneath the vintage Pyrex.

Another thing in the pile creativity zone on the cutting table was the EZ Dresden ruler, which was handy for the borders.

I decided not to fuse the petals down but instead just sew along the raw edges and down the centers to anchor them.  I may go back and zigzag the edges (or not) before I quilt it.

Just a reminder, I am having a SALE on the Thoroughly Modern Lily quilt pattern, at 33% off the regular price now through Wednesday, December 4.  Click the pattern link on the top right sidebar.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.  I made five wild ducks (and two duck breasts) in the crock pots, and I bet if you made a turkey, your house smelled way better than mine.  Nevertheless, they tasted very good and were appreciated by the whole crew, especially the hunters in the family. 

Linking to Whoop-Whoop Friday at Sarah's place!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

This turned out great! What a way to use your scraps. Nice color scheme, too

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, that's beautiful, P.! I love it! Whoop whoop whoop!!

Kevin the Quilter said...

So cool! I love your pile......I mean creative zone! All of those fabrics are great! Your duck sounds amazing! Happy Thanksgiving!

Elizabeth said...

First, you are brave to cook a duck, let alone eat it. I like my meat to come from pig, cow, chicken or turkey.

Second, talk about awesome! I love your runner! The colors are so pretty (especially love the swirls in that background fabric) and I'm going to have to get one of those EZ Dresden rulers b/c you have done a TON of fun stuff with yours. I love everything that comes out of your creative zone. Great job!

xo -E

Sara said...

What a wonderful idea for those scraps and the borders are creative P.;)

Yum duck...I will take a stinky house for some of that lol

LA Paylor said...

I like your style and writing.
I plan to look around your blog after. I'd like you to come visit my blog sometime, we have a similar style. LeeAnna
lapaylor.blogspot.com

MomWaldsPlace said...

Love, love, love your quilt!!!

Shay said...

Fantastic use for leftovers...it looks amazing!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous! It does remind of Pyrex now that you mention it. :)

Now see, this just goes to show, there is no such thing as worthless scrap. Instead, those "extra" pieces were inspiration!

Karen said...

Your creativity zone is miraculous! Love the way you used the scraps up. Norm needs to figure it out on necessary knowledge :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful way to use up your scraps!

Diane said...

Super cute! I get distracted with the left overs too. Almost every project I make has a sister or cousin project as well.