Monday, October 21, 2013

Challenge Fabric and Quilting Along

My sister gave me yards of this navy and white print fabric a couple years ago to use as I saw fit.  She had bought it to make a dress (in the '80s, I think), which obviously never happened.  I, too, stashed it away so far back as to be off the radar.
Recently, I found it again and prewashed it.  As it lay on my cutting table waiting to be refolded, I contemplated whatever to do with it.  Perhaps a two-color quilt in flying geese, or maybe stars, or half-square triangles?  But I worried that all by itself, it might make a brand new quilt look instantly dated.  Maybe just use the yardage for a border, or a backing?

It's mostly cotton, from what I can tell.  It may have some poly, judging from how it didn't wrinkle in the dryer and from the feel of it.  But it is a nice weight and seems stable enough to quilt with, is the point.  The selvage says The Manes Corporation, which I believe is no longer in business since a couple decades ago.  I guess that makes it vintage.

Then I thought maybe combining it with other fabrics might be a better idea—you know, sort of losing it in the shuffle.  On a whim, I decided to make a trial Dresden block with it.


And I liked that.  However, maybe I wouldn't do a traditional Dresden but something else, like a diagonal squiggle with quarter blocks.


Still undecided about how to put it together, but I went ahead and cut more pieces, so we'll see how it evolves.  I'll still have loads the navy/white print left.  Any ideas?
* * * * * * *
If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen this skirt I pinned from JCPenney recently.  I don't wear short (or any) skirts anymore, but I loved the design and thought it'd make a cool quilt.


JCP - $9.99 y'all!
So I experimented with a couple different methods for how to make the blocks, including a drunkard's path (which worked okay, but matching the arcs where a thick seam meets was a challenge).

I also tried a one-seam flying geese block and then folding the sides back, cathedral windows style.

I tossed these in the odd blocks bin for another time.  A couple days later, however, I saw a blurb about an upcoming quit-along hosted by Megan at City Stitches.  Serendipity!


CityStitches

I have downloaded the pattern, which is basically a modified drunkard's path block.  Now I need to get my fabric together.  Check out the post here for some cool variations.
* * * * * * *
Here's a tune from the vault, circa 1977, which I found myself singing along with the chorus ("no no no no nooo no no no...") in the car the other day.  Such a pretty song for the saga of a deadbeat (and only slightly remorseful) dad.

5 comments:

MomWaldsPlace said...

You are adorable. You just tossed those fab pieces! Sigh... they'll never surface again.

Cannot wait to see what you do for the challenge. Seriously.

Sarah Craig said...

I love the wavy line of dresden plate pieces - I've got some left from my apron foray, maybe I'll try that next! Thanks for the idea!!

Pokey said...

Oh, so many happenings since I last popped in, I'm glad to see the lovely creative gears are still whirring maddeningly along. I can see why you were humming along to the no-nos...quite catchy. Sending hugs along, pokey

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love what you did with that blue print! Mixing it in really did disguise its 80's-ness. Love your Dresdens (but you knew that ;).

And how cool that your skirt-turned-quilt-inspiration met up with the Hemispheres quilt along! Can't wait to see!

xo -E

Kevin the Quilter said...

Stop tempting me with another quilt along! LOL I LOVE the Hemispheres pattern!