Friday, February 8, 2013

Favorite Things Friday - Free Time!

One of my employers was on vacation this past week, so I had some extra free time, and that is my Favorite Thing!

I kept plugging along on the sailboat blocks for the shirt quilt.  While catching up on episodes of Say Yes to the Dress, What Not to Wear, and Love It or List It, I (simultaneously) got all these done.

Originally, the plan was to set this 9 x 9, so it'd be about 81 inches square.  However, I am approaching the bored out of my mind stage with these, which just so happens to coincide with the running low on some of the shirt fabrics stage.  So I have decided to set it 7 x 8 and maybe/maybe not add a border.  That way I can squeak out a finish with the materials I have and move on.

I do like it quite a lot, though!

I also did some reading and dreaming about quilts.  

(If you really want to get your quilt geek on, you may enjoy the academic discussion in the nearly inch thick, The Natural History of the Traditional Quilt.  Google it and you should be able to read several pages online to get an idea of the analytical nature of this book—or enlarge the photo below.  I think it's extremely interesting, but I have to take small bites of it at a time when I have an adequate attention span.)
 
Trying to decide on what kind of drunkard's path quilt to make.  Will it be a sampler like this one, perhaps?

From 65 Drunkard's Path Quilt Designs by Pepper Cory
Or this snake's trail?  Both would satisfy my desire for variety.  The snake's trail has scrappy/string quilt appeal as well.

From 65 Drunkard's Path Quilt Designs by Pepper Cory
Then there is this "Diamonds Are Forever" string quilt.  So many quilts, so little time!

From String Quilt Revival by Virginia Baker, et al.
But it was great to indulge in dream time, which is important for creativity.  Julia Cameron, author of The Artist's Way, calls it "filling the well."

I also attended to the long-procrastinated task of putting my estate planning documents together in a binder.  It's been two years since we had our wills and powers of attorney done, and the thought of anyone being able to find these and other important papers in the upside-down space that is both my sewing room and "filing" area had me concerned (apparently not concerned enough to take care of it for two whole years, however).  So there's that.

And I made an impulse buy with what I thought were soon-to-expire eBay bucks.  They were, in fact, expired (by a day) when I went through eBay checkout, but I still bought half yard of Type!

 I'm also linking with Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?  What have you been up to this week?

17 comments:

Marti said...

Extra time to sew is always good. I LOVE the typewriter fabric. I wouldn't be able to pass that up either.

Pattilou said...

That typewriter fabric is great! I'm still using some fabric I bought 4-5 years ago and can't get now. So, I'm always for "if it speaks to you loudly," buy it!

Have fun!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

The quilt is looking good! Cute, cute fabric:)

Karen said...

so wonderful to see your shirt quilt and so close to being done! I adore the type fabric ...envious :)

Stella Nemeth said...

The shirt fabrics look great in that quilt. Just the right kind of pattern for stripes and plaids.

Marg said...

I love extra free time.
The shirt quilt looks great and I can totally understand that after awhile plugging along on something, sometimes it loses its appeal.

Sharon said...

Your shirt quilt looks great! That is such a unique block

rubyslipperz1052 said...

I don't think I've ever seen a "shirt" quilt look soo, ummm, so pleasing to look at. =)

I LOVE Drunkard's Path! And, I agree with Patti, if it calls to you...buy, it! I have some fabrics that are (eeeek, dare I say?) 35 years old...and, I bought them. =P

hugz,
annie

Michelle said...

Your shirt quilt is turning out wonderfully! What a classic!

thea said...

The shirt quilt is really nice .. it's nice to know that other people get bored too. I thought it was just me.

Pokey said...

Free to choose is so luxurious, and you have chosen well. I know you are happy to have the 2 year filing project complete! Wow on this quilt, tho- I knew I'd love it! You will have a favorite in this one, dear P ~
:-}pokey

Shay said...

Free time is always a favourite. You and Amanda were on the same wave length this week!

Running out of fabrics and bored with the project= sign from the universe that you’ve done enough and this project is almost completed. At least in my book ! I must confess to being mind numbingly bored with making half hexies out of strips at the moment too.

The sailboat blocks look AMAZING. That quilt top absolutely rocks .

BendingPins.com said...

Wow, your sail boat blocks are coming together quickly! I know exactly what you mean about piecing bordom, just mention postage stamp quilt or trip around the world... I don't think you'd be happy making a string quilt. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them but they are B-O-R-I-N-G to make, I made it through one block and though, NO WAY!!!

I may join you on that drunkard's path trip you want to take and I love your books!! Not to mention that typewriter fabric -- FAB!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Your quilt is PERFECT! It is the way it is meant to be, because your enthusiasm and fabric are depleting at the same rate. If you did not put a border on it, it would look especially "antiquey".

I have been wondering about that "dress" show. Maybe I should try it while working on my next project. Yay, for Netflix!

Sarah Craig said...

Whoop whoop! Those blocks are beautiful, and will make a fabulous quilt!!!

Kevin the Quilter said...

O!M!G! Your shirtings quilt is absolutely fantastic! You have given me such inspiration.....I will be de-boning shirts non-stop now! I happen to love all of those books you are eyeing over!

Elizabeth said...

I got distracted half-way through and never made it back. Working from the bottom up, love that cute typewriter fabric! And that diamonds are forever string quilt. My pick for the Drunkard's path is the snake's trail. It is crazy!

Sigh. I need a little time to fill my well.

LOVE how the shirt quilt is coming out. You picked the perfect fabrics, as always! Sometimes projects just need a little rest, though, don't they.

xo -E