Thursday, February 28, 2013

Apple Picnic Quilt

It's the last day of February and I am sliding in with the second UFO finish of the year. 
My goal for this quarter for the 2013 Finish-A-Long is to quilt one unfinished top per month.  I got this basted on Monday afternoon, but then work ramped up and all of a sudden it was the evening of the 27th.  Yikes! I needed to carve out some time to quilt and bind this baby.  I finished quilting it at about midnight, and then this morning I bound it (by machine, of course, are you kidding me).

I'm not a last-minute person.  I don't like waiting until the eleventh hour to do something, although sometimes it happens that way and I can deal.  Some people thrive on the adrenaline rush of an imminent deadline (and those people amaze me).  Mostly it just makes me cranky.

But I'm feeling good that I can check this one off the list.  It's throw quilt size, but I imagine it'd make a nice picnic quilt.  Like, three months from now.

I had some hesitation when I opened the sliding door to take pictures on the deck today.  The snow was drifted up against the screen door.  You can probably guess by now that I am so ready to flip the calendar page and say goodbye to yet another month of winter.
So these are "throw-snap-go" pictures.  I donned my snow boots and other paraphernalia, but it was still too cold for dilly-dallying.  It was sure a lot more fun to take pictures of the top last September!

Here's the pieced back.  The quilting won't win any prizes, but after it's washed and crinkly, it won't matter anyway.

The pattern is called Breathe.  I really like snail's trail quilts and know there are more in store for me in the future.  I challenged myself to use a funky vintage apple print I found at the (wait for it...) thrift store.
It reminds me of the place we used to pick apples, on the outskirts of town, called the "Apple Pick-Nic Nut Farm."  Not only were the apples amazing—some varieties the size of softballs—but the name was a lot fun to say.  The farm has been since sold and all the apple trees chopped (I know, sad).

Hey, you know what?  I think I'll name this quilt after that place, in memory of those fun apple-picking times—the Apple Picnic Nut Farm quilt!

Linking to:
February Finishes

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You always amaze me with the way you put fabrics together. Love this quilt! Congrats on a great finish!

xo -E

Sarah Craig said...

Love it love it love it!! So glad this one isn't languishing in a UFO stack somewhere! Whoop whoop!!

Sara said...

This is so cheery and neat P. I am like you and want to get things moving so I don't have to be cranky:) The hubby always says I get cranky when I am nearing the end of a quilt..guess I am ready to move onto the next one!!

here's to some sunshine your way!!! (clinking of wine glasses)

Karen said...

Done done done with winter...so ready for spring. Love the quilt and the name of it equally! I am surrounded by apple orchards and it would be sad if the trees were chopped down. Some people :)

Jen BK said...

I had to look hard for the apples again...it looks GREAT!

Kevin the Quilter said...

COOL! It certainly is funky and vintage! I love it!

Lynette said...

Fun apple fabric. :) Don't you love it when you have a quilt whose fabrics/patterns don't need fancy-pants quilting? Just an easy-going meander or loopy trail, and you're easily done!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Looks good! I really like the pattern.

We could use some of that snow here...it's pretty dry.

Michelle said...

What a warm, happy quilt! The apple fabric is really cute and I love the snail trail pattern.

Shay said...

oooh la la . I adore those fabrics. Especially the back! It just speaks to me.

Good on you for finishing up something in the time frame you gave yourself...I seem to be having so much trouble doing that at the moment. My February report is going to be woeful!

Pokey said...

How wonderful to have another finish, and let's face it, from September to February, why- that quilt hasn't been on the shelf long enough to "age", LOL! You have done a great job to bring it to a completed quilt. The story that comes along with it will make for some happy memories for your future "picnic(k)s" ~
:-}pokey

Marti said...

I love your new quilt and admire your determination to get those good pictures.