Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday!

I am so glad it's Friday and officially the start of the weekend.  I did a lot of sitting in front of the computer this week (working, or otherwise known as growing my bum).  So what am I doing still sitting here on Friday night?  Uh, you got me there.  I guess I feel like I've been neglecting things around here, though there really isn't much to report—but I'm sure I'll find something!

I did sew another string Dresden ring together.  This one features a bold blue print.  I hope to knock another couple of these out in the next week (though I'll be happy with one, at the rate things are going).  I have some new scraps from Jenny that she tossed into an Etsy order for me this past week, and I'm looking forward to playing with those and working them into the string Dresdens.

Jenny was de-stashing and putting some fabrics in her shop, so I had to go have a look.  I can't believe she was selling this piece of Michael Miller fabric.
But it's mine now!  

Is it possible to be in love with a piece of fabric?  Because I think I at least have a serious crush on it.  And I'm pretty sure fellow Pyrex fans would agree that everything looks (even) better in Pyrex!

Here are a couple other pieces I am the new owner of.  I didn't buy these with the intention of using them together, but it would totally work.  Love the little vintage floral!  Anytime you want to weed through your fabric stash, Jenny, just let me know. ;)

What's for Dinner... and Breakfast
I made some fantastic barbecued chicken in the crockpot yesterday, and I wanted to share the recipe, which I cobbled together.  In former times, I may have just dumped a bunch of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on the chicken and called it good (and there's nothing wrong with that, if that works for you).  But as you may know, I'm trying to eat less sugar and refined stuff, plus I am gluten and dairy intolerant.  I know there are others who may have similar issues.  Even if you do not, this goes together in under 5 minutes and tastes wonderful!  So good, I also had it straight out of the plastic container, cold, for breakfast this morning.  It's one of those things that is even better the second day.

But before I get to the recipe, I have to tell you something.  My husband, when it comes to chicken (let's get that clear before I complete the sentence), is strictly a breast man.  In all the years I've known him, I have yet to see him eat any other part of a chicken, or turkey for that matter.  He claims it's the only part he likes.  End of story.  

So I sort of tricked him with this chicken dish (though I haven't fessed up to it yet...well, except for admitting it here to the entire internet), because I made it with chicken thighs.  Shhhh!  I thought for sure he'd notice something "fowl," but I was willing to take that chance because all it would mean was more leftovers for me.  See how that works?

So when I asked how he liked the chicken (with as much nonchalance as I could muster), he said it was GREAT!  He ate his shredded on sandwich buns, I ate mine with rice, with steamed asparagus on the side.  Yep, it was a winner of a chicken dinner!

I will tell him...eventually.  I'm going to make it at least one more time before I do, though, and see if the response is still the same.  Then I'll give him the full disclosure.

And let me apologize here for what may be the most unappetizing food photo in the world, but it was an afterthought, right before the leftovers went into the fridge.

(Now, even with those prettier dishes and photos above, what do you want to bet this'll be the photo Google/Blogger features in the preview?) 

Crockpot BBQ Chicken 
1/3 c. tomato paste
1/4 c. soy sauce (I used low-sodium, gluten-free San-J brand Tamari)
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1 T. Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin's is gluten-free)
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 t. dried onion flakes
1 T. honey
1/2 c. water
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. smoked paprika
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1-2 t. chili powder
1 pkg. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6-8)

Lay chicken in crock pot. (I used a brand of chicken with "Healthy" in the name—sorry for lack of specifics—which I found at Walmart, which packaging said there were no additives and the critters had all led happy and free lives before they came to live in the refrigerator case of the big box store...or words to that effect). 

Whisk all the above ingredients together and pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on Low setting for 4-6 hours.  (My generic crockpot cooks a little faster than most, even on Low, so it was already falling-apart done after 3-1/2 hours, but I let it go for a total of 5.)  Serve as is or shred for sandwiches, if desired.  Enjoy!

The chicken dish was my Favorite Thing this week, so I'm linking to Favourite Things Friday.  And I think the Dresden, though not much, is still something to Whoop about!


14 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Whoop whoop!! I love chicken thighs - they have much more flavor and stay moister - and Walmart is the best place to get them, because they are boneless! Woohoo!! tHanks for the recipe - I'll give it a try!

Elizabeth said...

Such a cute dresden! i love those! And I'll definitely look through my stash for you.

So, I love a good barbeque. That looks delicious. Just one questions on the smoked paprika. Do you have to buy that somewhere special? I've never heard of it and have everything but that (and maybe the cayenne pepper), so if I can pick it up at the BBBS (big blue box store) when I do my groceries, it'll be on the menu for next week.

xo -E

MomWaldsPlace said...

Here I am reading the beginning of your recipe with the note about your hubby to my hubby laughing my head off and he's laughing right along. HE was laughing about the free toilet ad on Craig's list, not listening to me at all.

Husbands...

thea said...

lots of lovely things; great favorite and great other things too!

Heidi Staples said...

Visiting through Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Your dresden ring is SO gorgeous! I absolutely love it!!

Sara said...

Maybe you don't need all that sugar cuz you are sweet enough Paulette!!hehehehe

I am making some cranberry pork chops today. No fresh cranberries at the store so I had to settle for canned whole ones oh well. 3 tbsp. brown sugar and 1/4 white sugar sorry I had to sweeten the deal,but I think with the water and apple juice (unsweetened) it will be alright.

I love,love,love BBQ pulled sandwiches----enjoy it all!!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a Dresden ring...yours are so cool! Love the teapot, too.

The fabric and Pyrex both look great!

Angie in SoCal said...

I'm a breast person also, but that chicken looks yummy. I'm saving the recipe. My goodness! I didn't know that pyrex came in any color other than clear or white. Will have to look into that.
Thanks for a wonderful post!

Pokey said...

BBQ in any variety is an all time favorite of my house. I will have to try this in the crockpot, it sounds delish!
Your dresdens are so cool. I purchased the template 50% off, ...and there it sits by that growing stack of lil' houses by my sewing machine. I'm hoping one will sew itself by the midnight sewing fairy ~
:-}pokey

Suzanne said...

Love the cherry teapot. I inherited a couple teapots from my mother-in-law and see why she collected them. Got really tickled about your husband and the chicken. Bet he'll feel the same the next time you fix it too. Recipes sounds yummy. I'll give it a try this week.

Michelle said...

I love those String Dresdens P.! And I'm gathering up some strings to send your way so you can keep going.

You and I have similar tastes. I have that exact piece of Michael Miller fabric. It's making an appearance in the NYB (that is sitting neglected).

Shay said...

My Dad ate onion unknowingly for 25 years before Mum confessed.

That recipe looks and sounds so yummy.

Any fabric purchase is thrilling as far as Im concerned ! Love your new acquisitions.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Yes you can be in love with a piece of fabric....I am in love with several at the one time at the moment. Love your Dresden. Just gorgeous as is your yummy Chicken dish... many thanks.

Jenny said...

the scrap stash is growing P! as i fold the piles grow bigger! wow, that vintage and Amy Butler do look good together! yipee!!