Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Sundry - Vol. 35

It was a lovely day for a flea market.  We got up bright and early and drove about 40 miles to a little town that buzzes with swarms of junk shoppers in its city park every Saturday.

It is quite a lively place, with everything from Amish baked goods and attic treasures to Chinese imports.   Hand crafted, home grown, or ready to haggle over, you can find it here.

This time I went for something new, a bowl from a local potter.  I've got a soft spot for them, and a growing collection (of pottery, not potters).

Norm found an old radio.  It's not working at the moment, but it looks like it could with a little tinkering.

Not a decent piece of Pyrex to be found at the flea market, unfortunately.  So I hit the local Goodwill when I got home.  Check out this mini piece of Py!  

So cute, and it won't take up a lot of shelf space.

I guess the whole world knows Pyrex is collectible now.  Goodwill has raised its prices on it.

They apparently haven't gotten the memo on this stuff, though: 

I seriously had a OMG, this is too good to be true! moment.  Or, as Vonlipi would say, Start the car!

Eva Zeisel Hallcraft:  Awesome.
Finding at Goodwill for 49 cents:  Priceless!

I am no expert on Eva Zeisel, but I recognized the name from some reading I had done last fall, after I bought a couple pieces from the Town and Country line of Red Wing pottery, designed by Zeisel.

This is a piece from the line of dinnerware she designed for Hall in the 1950s.  This particular pattern is called "Fantasy."

Wouldn't it be fun to try quilting this design?  That is, if I could figure out where it begins.

I am not even sure what the function of this dish is.  One replacement china site calls it an open sugar bowl.  Another calls it an individual creamer.

Whatever it is, it's beautiful. 

7 comments:

Larri said...

Nice finds, P.! Everytime I see Pyrex at my Salvation Armani, I think of you. Are you still looking for anything in particular to add to your collection? I'll keep an eye out for you! :o)

Happy Sunday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm not much into collectibles but that last dish you showed sure is charming - I think maybe it could be used as a gravy boat also? looks like it could be poured from it - just doesn't have a handle.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

You said it, whatever it is, its beautiful. My Goodwill and local thrift store have nearly tripled their prices on just about everything. Maybe ebay sellers are what is upping the prices. Supply and demand.

blessings, jilly

Sarah Craig said...

You are always so lucky in thrifting! I love that Fantasy piece - and you're right, it would make a great quilting design!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

The flea market sounds like a nice way to spend the day. Nice finds, too!

Shay said...

Thank goodness you;re not collecting potters. That's make you kind of weird and liable to arrest ...

I'd say your dish is a creamer...and it's utterly gorgeous. Crazy bargain! As for quilting that design- I'll leave that up to you. If anyone can do it - you can!

I love flea markets but over here they're over priced and full of junk! But flea marketing is a perfect way to spend a Sunday.

Toronto Yardsaler said...

Super score. It's little moments like this that keep me going through the daily slop and grind:)
Erin