Thursday, January 27, 2011

Favorite Thing Friday - American Idol

I've been MIA on the Favourite Things Friday circuit for a couple weeks.  Somehow I didn't think Low-Sodium Fritos or socks without holes were things to create a post around (though now that I think about it, perhaps I was wrong; they're both pretty high on the satisfaction meter for me.  I'm  uncomplicated like that).

But I have a favorite that I have no reservations about sharing this week, and that is the TV show, American Idol.

Is this going to go over the heads of my Australian friends, or do you know what I'm talking about (I hope)?  The Cliff's Notes story behind the show is that it's a talent competition for singers.  It's the stuff of legends, if you prefer the grandiose.  Some of the legends launched from the American Idol platform have been Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and Carrie Underwood, to name a few.

I've watched every season since the beginning (we're on Season 10 now).  In the past couple years, though, I have skipped the auditions and not started watching until the field was narrowed down to the final 12 contestants.  That's where it gets good, in my opinion.

I'm not so interested in who the final winner will be, and I don't call in to vote.  I just like hearing new voices and watching the contestants develop as the weeks go by and they try their pipes at different genres of music.  Often they're visited by superstars in the music industry who give helpful advice and encouragement.  It's fun to see what their impressions are, both the contestants of the big name star, and vice-versa.

I've only ever bought one CD of an American Idol contestant, and that was Elliot Yamin in 2007.  I've always been a sucker for blue-eyed (or any color) soul, and he had it in spades.  (Check the link at the end of this post for a sample.)  He didn't win the big prize, but it didn't matter.  He built a fan base and had doors opened for him just for being on the show, and that's what it's all about, in my opinion.  

Other past favorites who didn't win but have gone on to do well:  Jennifer Hudson and Wisconsin homeboy Danny Gokey, to name just a couple.  

The auditions that took place in Milwaukee last fall were televised last night.  My husband had gotten a tip from our hairdresser (a reliable source, right?) that she'd heard through a client that someone we might know got through to the next round at the Milwaukee auditions.  Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone I recognized, so that was apparently a bum steer.  But did anyone see the guy at the end (Chris Medina) with the fiancee whom he was two months away from marrying when she got in an accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury?  She's now in a wheelchair and he's her caretaker, still very much in love.  He sang well, got through to the next round in Hollywood, and then the judges wanted to meet the girlfriend, so they wheeled her in.  Whereupon, I bawled my eyes out.  

Oh, here, I found a youtube:



The judges are an interesting group this year.  In addition to Randy Jackson, who's been there since the beginning, we have Jennifer Lopez, and Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, whose lack of a filter cracks me up.  He's going to give the unvarnished truth, that's for sure!

Yep, it's looking like another highly entertaining season of American Idol—one of my favorite things!

18 comments:

Becks said...

Oooo I was bawling right along with you! American Idol is the highlight of these long, Michigan winter months for me. :o)

Sarah Craig said...

I love Idol too - and it was especially good last night! But don't forget Mandisa in your list of people who didn't win, but went on to make good - she is an awesome Christian singer and really a neat lady! Check out her version of Shackles - here's a link to where she performed it on Idol... (just turn it off after she finishes singing - the judges were very annoying that night!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFO7o4a5DA&feature=related

Sara said...

That was a powerful,beautiful (no words could describe) video and thank you for sharing!!!

Pokey said...

I do not watch, but I do love some of the music, and we have bought 2 albums, and both were NOT the top winner, interesting, huh? This video story had me crying too, thank you for sharing it.
:-}pokey

Sara said...

Socks were one of my favourite things last week.

In Oz we had Australian Idol till... probably last year? Maybe the year before? I only really watched the first two seasons. American Idol airs here on Foxtel and Austar, which are the cable/satellite channels but I believe there's a bit of a delay - I don't have them so I'm not 100% sure. Probably the only American Idol winner I would know any of the songs of is Kelly Clarkson.

Elizabeth said...

That is a really fun post! Thanks for sharing!

xo -El

Helsie said...

We do have an Aussie equivalent and the winners have gone on to do well so it is a great springboard for new talent.
Cheers
Helen

Marg said...

American Idol was on in the background while I was quilting this morning. I didn't watch it or take much notice of it, it was definitely the new season with JLo and Steven Tyler. I just remember hearing one guy who sang what I think was a medley of Lady Gaga songs, he was so bad I'm not entirely sure but I think he started with Bad Romance, I tuned out after that.
I don't normally watch American Idol but with a teenager in the house and satellite (cable) TV, we get to see a lot of other shows so I do know Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken ( wow what a transformation) and Carrie Underwood.
I used to watch the last few rounds of Australian Idol for the same reason as you, seeing the development of the contestants.

thea said...

My husband loves American Idol so we watch it too. I usually sew while its on and only come in the room for the good parts.

Larri said...

Well, P.~, I'm bawling as I type this. Love the video, love American Idol. I'm not as faithful watcher as you, but catch it now and again. Fabulous Favourite! Happy FTF! :o)

PS...A girl I used to sing with in a Vocal Jazz group made it to Hollywood with her great pipes. I would've loved the chance to audition. Alas, I was too old to ever have the opportunity. ;o)

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Thanks for sharing this...we haven't watched in a while - but your video was great!

I'm surprised how much I liked JLo and Steven Tyler on the video - they seemed very genuine.

Great FTF!

ps...are you excited about the Super Bowl?

Shay said...

Hey socks without holes would make an excellent FTF post in my opinion.

I had a blub too after watching that video . What a remarkable couple. Glad he has a shot at some fun, and who knows where it might lead them.

I had a song by the First Australian Idol winner as my wedding song. (Mr. P picked it - I wanted to go with something else a bit more rocking )

Who doesnt love a good cry every now and then - loved your favourite thing this week P.

Unknown said...

Aaah, there I was with makeup on so early in the morning and you put this video on...I'm not a idol watcher except for the last few weeks of the show, but my friend Mary wouldn't miss it!
Socks would make it you know, I almost posted my knitted stuff here.

Alisa said...

Thanks for the cry warning. I blubbered like a baby! What a great favorite.

Kate said...

I think socks without holes and low sodium fritos might be interesting FTS's.

I've never been able to get into Ameical Idol. Though I do like Kelly Clarkson.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I don't get regular TV and my hubby hogs the remote so it is usually news and weather that we watch :-) I have seen clips from the finals though and the talent is amazing!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Well, I can say I appreciate it is your (and many others' favorites) but I cannot stand this show. The drama, the nonsense ARGH! LOL

I'll let you and the millions of others who watch it have it.

But I will grant this one thing, I really like the new judge line up this year (hubs watches it).

Shevvy said...

I can't watch these shows. This started as Pop Idol in the UK which didn't last that long and was replaced by The Cowells X Factor which you are getting next. My claim to fame is I've never watched them, or Britains got Talent which also went over to you.