Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Sundry - Vol. 5

We had fun at the flea market today.  It was clear, cool, and sunny.  A good day for squinting, without the proper eyewear.

Hog:  Do these glasses make my butt look big?

Me:  I dunno.  Do these glasses make my eyelids look heavy?

Hog:  Snort!

My sister and I took turns trying on these '50s cat-eye glasses, but we left them there to provide entertainment for others. 

There was vintage fabric to be had for $1.

A retro cattail platter, also a buck.

And Pyrex, of course.  More than a dollar, but the sellers were very amenable to negotiating today.

Earlier this week, I found this casserole at Goodwill.  The pattern is called Black Tulip, blogged about over at The Pyrex Collective.

Cucumber salad:  Peel and slice 2 English cucumbers.  Toss in a little chopped Vidalia onion.  Whisk together 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar, 3-4 T. extra-virgin olive oil, 1-2 T. sugar, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest and maybe a little squirt of lemon juice besides.  Pour over cucumbers, stir, and throw some chopped fresh chives on top.  Refrigerate a couple hours to marinate.  Enjoy!

Three quilting-related blog posts that knocked my socks off this week:
  1. Liz of Lady Harvatine's Quilt for Sylvie.  Love the movement of this string quilt.  And check out the inspiration for it here.  Breathtaking!
  2. Amy at Diary of a Quilter's "modern quilt".  Pattern, please!
  3. Belinda at Brown Dirt Cottage posted an update on her Clamshell Quilt, made with vintage fabrics.  It's looking great, AND she's doing a tutorial!
Thanks for popping by today.  Hope you're all having a great weekend.  And Happy Labor Day!

11 comments:

Penny said...

I love the blue glasses best! and the vintage fabric is a steal!

Michelle said...

LOL! Love the pig with glass/you with glasses juxtaposition. :-) Ooh pretty vintage fabric! Lovely Pyrex. Really cool cat tail platter--I really like that platter.

The singer is so powerful. Love the harmony. Made my mom and me cry.

Sarah Craig said...

I so miss going to the flea market! I hate dragging my hubby along - he doesn't really enjoy it - and I haven't found another flea market buddy since I moved. I really need to find a new one! You found some great stuff today - did you bring the hog home with you??

Michelle said...

Just visited the blogs you posted about. You're right. Those are some fantastic quilts!

Keetha Broyles said...

SNORT!!! That hog in the glasses and your captions are hilarious!

Jane said...

I went to a flea market with my mother on Friday. I got a few things but didn't go crazy. My favorite find was a portable Underwood typewriter.
I also wanted to thank you for the 1/2 yard of fabric. It was in yesterdays mail and it is lovely. I don't know exactly what I'm going to make with it but you know I'll post about it. Thanks again.
Jane

amy smart said...

Thank you so much for the lovely shout out! I'm very touched. (Pattern coming this week - fingers crossed!)

I'm drooling over your pyrex goodies. Mmm. And that cattail platter is awesome! You have an eye!

GaAm said...

Thanks for the great recipe! I love your Pyrex collection. You seem to have the best luck at flea markets and Goodwill.

SueWis said...

Did you buy all that Pyrex? I had to quit as I am running out of room. :(

Love your haul: the fabric, the platter...very nice!

Shay said...

Yep _ I went blog stalking too based on your recommendations. The talent of others never ceases to inspire me.

I love flea markets. Cant wait for flea makrket season to start here again. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for Pyrex.

Elizabeth said...

P., you look so cute in those glasses! You are so funny!

I love that Black Tulip pyrex. It looks like it is in really good condition.

I enjoyed checking out your links. Those were some beautiful things!

Needtobreathe has a great sound. Thanks for sharing!

xo -E